Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 7: WW Nazi Infiltrates the Office

I've been dieting for years. Since I hit puberty pretty much. I wasn't obese until I got pregnant, lost all the weight, then regained it plus some before my son was 6 months. But even pre-pregnancy, I was chunkier than socially acceptable. Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, I can't think of a single time in my life when I truly liked my body. Not one. Thus, the constant dieting.

I've tried several of the fad diets, and they work as long as you don't deviate from the plan. They don't truly teach you how to make it a lifetime change though. Rewind several months, and my BFF, Leigh, comes to work with me. She's on Weight Watchers, and having someone in the office that also avoids the kitchen until the daily catered lunch is cold and gross is awesome. It took me a few months before finally breaking down and trying things her way. In short: it worked, I lost 26 pounds between April and July. After the honeymoon though, I struggled getting back on track. I have good days, and then really bad days. So I've pretty much just hovered around the same 3-4 pounds since the wedding.

Last week, my boss finally decided to try WW with us. We've been trying to talk her into it for a LONG time, but until she made up her mind, there wasn't really anything we could say or do to help her.

Here's the weird part... she's really helped me (my boss) even though she's just now letting us help her. Even though she wouldn't commit to WW for the longest time, she's been cheering us on from the sidelines the whole time. And now she's doing it too, so I feel like I have to set a good example to keep her on track. Today, another coworker asked if I'd help her get started too. Several others seemed interested, but I don't know if they're ready to jump on board yet. How's that for motivation?

I still can't say that I like my body (working on that part), but today really made me feel like I inspired someone, or maybe a few someones. Hopefully my BFF got that same happy feeling too!

2 comments:

  1. You keep me on track... it's easier when you do it with me. We've gotta get them doing it one at a time... it's too hard to teach everyone at once.... baby steps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do the same for me! You're the best support I've ever had on a diet. Ever. It makes a huge difference apparently! It's a lot easier to make better food choices, or make it to the gym, when you don't have someone complaining about how they're suffering as a result. You push me and I love you for it (among MANY other reasons obviously!)

    Cue our song: "How wonderful life is.." :)

    ReplyDelete