Saturday, October 16, 2010

ATC


It's official, I'm a gym member. I found one about 5 minutes from home that is 24 hours, is spotless and has plenty of equipment, and no contracts. We have one here in the apartment complex, but after an incident a few weeks ago, I just don't feel comfortable being there alone.

I have to admit, I was a bit intimidated when I went to sign up. Half the area is taken up by weight machines that I have no idea how to use or what they're for. They look more like torture devices used in the middle ages.. And not a single person there was even the slightest bit overweight. I got my butt on my shoulders for a moment, thinking I didn't belong here with them. Some of them looked like body builders in training. I signed up anyway, but didn't get to use my shiny new card right then because I had to pick Chris up from school.

I went back later after running all my errands, still a little intimidated, but knowing this is exactly where I needed to be. I've lost 31 lbs so far without incorporating a ton of exercise (not a good thing) and it's time to start making this part of my new healthier habits. I hit the elliptical for 20 minutes, it's my favorite machine because it doesn't bother my knee the way the treadmill can, and then the treadmill for another 25. Pleased to say I kept pace with a much more petite woman on the elliptical too. It was tough, but I'm stubborn and wanted to prove something to myself.

Mr. D said he may eventually sign up with me, but isn't ready to yet. He doesn't really need to lose more than 10 lbs or so, but I think it would benefit him just as much as it will me. He said he wants to make sure I actually use my membership before we sign up for another one. One more reason to keep at it!

2 comments:

  1. nicely done on the gym membership - i know what you mean about being conscious of other people in the place the first time you go, but i think it's all in the mind really....i usually just put the headphones on and tune others out anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil! I've gone every night but Monday since I signed up and I'm loving it. It's easy to tune everything out once I get started. I actually pushed myself to do 50 minutes on the elliptical tonight- I've never stayed on more than half an hour! My legs were jello afterwards, but it felt great!! I hope you're loving your gym too!

    ReplyDelete