Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Girl Meets Gym

I learned something new this week:

I. Love. The. Gym.

Who knew? Certainly not me. My parents stocked an extra room in their house with gym equipment when I still lived at home. I had access to a treadmill, bike, a monstrous weight machine thing, dumbbells, etc. but rarely used it. There was always an excuse or a distraction that kept me from making it a priority because it was always there. You know, the famous "tomorrow" excuse. And when I did, someone always interrupted. I don't know if I'm just a cranky wench, but when I'm in "the zone" and someone asks me if I know where the attachment for the vacuum cleaner is... well it's just irritating. Guess what? No one asks you jack at the gym. Everyone just does their own thing, and it's pure awesome sauce.

I'm really excited the gym is working out so well. I admit, I was a little nervous it wouldn't, and then I'd have to listen to Mr. D rant over the registration fees I wasted (and no one wants that, trust me). Aside from all the wonderful health benefits that we're all well aware of-- I get time to myself when no one talks to me! If you're married, or have kids, or more specifically, have kids with ADHD, you know why this is so precious. Having even just half an hour to myself without anyone asking what's for dinner, or where Sonic's head is, or arguing over turning the video games off (is this just my husband??), or ranting about how it's so unfair they have to wash their hair.. it's pure bliss. Sweating out the stress makes it that much better. I feel like I come home recharged and more patient and ready to roll with it than when I left. I'm already wondering if this could replace my anti-anxiety medicine eventually.

On another note.. Mr. D and I were reading up on pre/post workout snacks, and how important it is to eat the right things at the right time to maximize your results. Apparently fruit is a great pre-workout snack, and I think the english muffin with peanut butter (reduced fat for me) for post-workout was my favorite suggestion. Does anyone have a favorite pre/post workout snack they recommend?

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I just found your blog. I seriously doubt you are a cranky wench...lol...I think you just get in the zone, and don't want it disturbed. I am the same way. As a mom of a 16 month old I can totally relate to just how much the 1/2 hour means.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty exciting -- to find a new love! I have never picked up that love for exercise. I do it for what it does for me, but I sure do hope I begin to love it one day.

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs.D - glad you are digging the gym - me too...i used to think gyms were for the weak-willed fops who couldn't stand the pace in the great outdoors, then i joined a gym and, hey presto, i loved it and wondered why the hell i hadn't joined sooner!. lol

    Pre-workout snack - well, i like to workout early in the day (starting the workout around around 8am at the minute as i'm still unemployed and have my mornings free), and so i grab a banana as i'm heading out the door and i swear that i can feel my metabolism getting cranked into action while i'm travelling to the gym as my body is devouring the first food of the day. Anything more than a banana would bloat me i think, so i don't eat anything else until workout and shower are completed, and then i generally go for a coffee and eat the apple and tangerine i put in my bag the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie- thanks for stopping by!! I think my husband would argue the wench thing, haha! It really is nice to just be able to tune everything out though!

    Steve- I must be a masochist, it's the best theory I have so far!

    Phil- I'm definitely a fop, haha!! I live in Memphis where our summers are brutal and I'm a weenie when it comes to the cold! (Seriously, there's a heater under my desk that runs just about all day!) I love fall, but that's about it! I snacked on a banana before heading to the gym tonight and it definitely did the trick! I spent a little over an hour there between the elliptical and treadmill. My post snack was a low calorie chocolate mint thing I make though. Still within my points for the day, but not the high protein I should have gone for!

    Thanks for cheering me on everyone!!

    ReplyDelete