Friday, October 8, 2010

Hot 100 Update


Not a successful week in the way I was hoping, but even better than last week if you ask me.

1. Goal 1 of seeing 199 on my scale before 2011- I lost nothing this week. I didn't gain though, I think. My scale is mentally challenged, and rather slow in the mornings lately. Yesterday is my usual weigh-in, but I got 3 different numbers (all within a 2 minute span) and all were up from last week's weight. It said I gained 1.5, 1. or .5- so I moved it to today because after the great week I had, I just could not believe it. Normally, I accept when the scale says I've gained because I can look back that week and find a possible cause. The ONLY one I can come up with this week is good old-fashioned stress. Screw you, cortisol.

2. Goal 2- exercising at least 3 times a week. I hit the treadmill for 2.13 miles Sunday, and took my son walking with me a few other nights this week, and used the weights/exercise ball once. (See, I was good!)

3. Goal 3, trying one new healthy recipe a week. I sorta just made one up this week. My husband asked for frittatas, but I've never really made one. So I dumped egg substitute, green peppers, turkey, and fat free mozzarella in a baking dish and stuck it in the oven. Topped it with salsa and voila, breakfast. I also made a salad with baby spinach for the first time in my life. I know, spinach is wonderful for you, but I'm scarred. I don't care what Popeye says, nothing good for you makes a child sick like that! I apparently love fresh spinach though.

Regardless of what the scale says, I'm making HUGE positive changes in my life for the long haul- to quote my boss. She's right. I got tied up in the number this week, and that's never good. I felt so defeated when I saw I'd gained, not taking into account at that moment that I've physically felt better this week. I've had more energy, my mood has been much better (that could be the new medicine as well). I still like to see an accurate number though, just for tracking my weight loss. So, I ordered a new scale that should be here next Friday. I may not have another official weigh-in until it's here.

One of the best motivating factors this week was shopping with my son. We ran by Kroger last night on the way home from school to pick up a green pepper. And this is what we came home with:

I can honestly say I've never come home with this much fresh produce before. I hadn't even made my meal plans for the week yet, but I knew I wanted these things in there somewhere. I've never cooked sweet potatoes (other than out of a can) and never had fresh spinach. We stopped in for just a pepper, and piled our basket up with this. The part I'm most excited about? My son is responsible for a lot of it. He asked if we could get more apples (one of the very few fruits he'll eat) and then picked out some oranges, and a watermelon. He's already eaten quite a bit of the watermelon all by himself.

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm making all of these changes. Not only do I want to avoid serious health problems, and the cocktail of pills my mother takes daily, and still be around when my son has babies, but I want to set a good example for him. Apparently it's starting to rub off.

Now THAT is a good week!

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to getting "tied up in the number"...statistics can often be as much of a hindrance as a help.

    Great going on shopping healthier...i imagine it's a blast when your nipper is choosing healthy foods out because he is following your lead.

    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at that picture is making me drool. LOL I do love me some produce. I could eat fruit all day long and never get sick of it. :) WTG on such an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you had a good week this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone!! Seeing my son get excited in th produce section was very motivating. We've both been trying a lot of new things lately (my husband is too picky though!) and I'm finding out I DO like things I hated before, like tomatoes and onions. Thank you so much for the support!

    ReplyDelete