Sunday, November 28, 2010

C25K, Do-Over?

First I read Allan's post, and I'll probably deny it later, but got a little choked up at being mentioned. My 7 lbs is nothing compared to the other two people mentioned, and I'm not doing anything new or spectacular, but he used me as an example! The 250 lb me was never an example of what-to-do, especially in terms of health. I doubt I'm the only obese person that's unfamiliar with being a model for anything other than "how to die young," and it felt great to hear that I'm doing something right. Thank you for that, Allan!

After reading the post, I hopped over the the other 2 blogs mentioned, and was so happy I did. This one in particular really resonated with me. When I first started getting healthier this Spring, I saw an episode of BL where the contestants ran a 5K with people from Texas. A lot of them had never done one, but they were committed to finishing. It made me want to, even if it took me over an hour. My goal was just to finish, alive hopefully! BFF mentioned that I should probably train for it first, and told me about the C25K program. BFF is smart, so I downloaded the app on my phone. I barely made it through week 1, and instead of redoing week 1, I tried to move on because I had a deadline. I wasn't ready for week 2 in any way, and I couldn't do it, so I quit (which is, by the way, how I got fat- quitting). I still did the 5K on July 3rd (Memphis makes you wanna die in July!), and I finished in under an hour, but I hurt so bad between my knee and my back that I could barely walk that night. It felt like I failed, so I decided then that I would never be a runner, and I did the 5K like I set out to do, so I wasn't going to waste my time on this again now that the novelty was gone. Why yes, fat me was very stupid. I still did the 5K on Thanksgiving, but it was on an elliptical which eliminated the knee pain completely. Still, until I read this post by Jess, I had no intentions of trying the C25K again. Yet here it is, downloaded to my phone once again..
Maybe it was reading her inner dialogue (which I could totally identify with!), maybe it was knowing that a lot of other bloggers like Phil are doing it too, or maybe I've just come farther mentally in the last few months, but I'm going to try again. I don't know that my knee will allow it, but I do know that I'll never find out if I don't at least try again. My knee doesn't seem to be bothering me nearly as often as it did before (Mr. D still gets freaked out when it starts popping while I work out with Jillian) so who knows? I never got it checked out because it seemed pointless until I took the weight off. Most back/knee/hip/whatever injuries are aggravated if not caused by carrying around insane amounts of weight. And 250 lbs on a 5'2 frame is insane. Maybe now that some has come off, my knee issue may not be such an issue if I'm careful. I'm willing to test that theory. And now that I've posted this, I can't not try it, or you'll all kick my ass hopefully :)

13 comments:

  1. Slow and steady wins the race. You can and will do your 5k! So happy Allan linked you! :) Can't wait to watch more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll start it again too. You know I've failed miserably!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good we can be noobs (sort of) together. I just started on day 1 on Saturday and will run again tomorrow night. If I can do this, you CAN do this. And you better believe I will kick your ass if you try to quit on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tamzin!

    Leigh- maybe we can start doing some of the days together when schedules allow? Probably won't be able to keep up with you, but maybe that'll push me, LOL! Best BFF ever!

    That's awesome Kimberly!! I'm planning to start tomorrow, so that works out well!! And I know you'll come after me if I don't, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news to hear you are taking up C25K again. I never thought i'd make it past week 4, but somehow your body adapts and the biggest battle (in my experience anyway) is with your own mind.

    I haven't read of anyone who did C25K in the 9 weeks the program lays out....i am just at the start of week 8 but it's taken me 11 weeks to get here. The main thing i would say is to reiterate Tamzin - "slow and steady wins the race"....listen very closely to what your shins and knees are telling you, and if you get pain (rather than just a bit of an ache) take an extra day or two between runs. In the end, the only person you are racing against is your good self, so repeat weeks or days as often as you need to.

    I would recommend checking out a couple of videos on running technique as they helped me a lot and i am always mindful of the points raised in them:-
    Chi Running basics
    More detail on posture and technique

    Hope they are of some use mate. I look forward to cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe because Allan linked you I followed here, I am glad I did. I am meeting such amazing people here it chokes me up, it makes me wanna try harder because you are all so inspiring and I wanna join the club ha-ha. c25k, I am gonna have to google that I have read it so many times its ridiculous, and since I love working on treadmill maybe this is a good thing!

    Wish ya the best of luck!

    xox
    Mrs. Crumpet

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the videos, thanks Phil! I'd read about "proper running form" in one of the magazines Leigh (BFF) gave me. Hopefully I'll be able to remember it while I'm trying not to die ;) Definitely will be mastering one week before moving onto the next this go round, and not setting a deadline so I don't feel like I'm behind or anything.

    Mrs. Crumpet- C25K is a "Couch to 5K" training program. I believe there's website for it but I'm honestly not sure. I just use an app on my iPhone for it. It slowly builds up your endurance over the weeks with less walking, more running as you go to prepare you for a 5K. Here's hoping I don't die! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you are doing the C25K, why not join in with December Go The Distance challenge. You set your own goal as to what you think you can cover (walking/running/whatever) in December and you post your daily distances and everyone eggs each other on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome that you are "getting back on the horse". You are a GREAT example of what to do and such an encouraging person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just may do that Phil! I have no clue what kind of goal to set though, I never keep up with my normal distances when I workout now. I'll look at that during the next week and come up with something :)

    Thank you BWB, you are too sweet!! You're all such an encouragement to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to see you join in with December Go The Distance challenge. Set a conservative goal and give it your best. The technique from programs such as C25K (disclaimer I have not done c25k myself) and the accountability from participating with others in a challenge such as December Go The Distance challenge is a great combo.

    Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! :) I did the c25k program and it took me over a year to finish. I did weeks for months- when I felt I was ready to progress- I did. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely going to do that Patrick! I did Day 1 tonight.. I'm still alive! I'll post later ;) I can definitely see repeating days/weeks based on tonight!

    ReplyDelete