Saturday, November 20, 2010

Date Night with Mr. D



For those of you that don't already know, I'm a nerd. Hardcore. Dress-up-as-Ron-for-the-midnight-book-release kind of nerd. There's photo evidence around here somewhere, I'll see if Mr. D can scan it in for me. We've been to every midnight movie release for Harry Potter since the third or fourth one. We do midnight releases for Twilight as well, but that's another post..

So we went. I saved all 35 weekly points for date night, and still had 18 left over from the day before we left. First stop was Genghis Grill, which I love because I control everything in my bowl. I had chicken, shrimp, carrots, broccoli, peppers, egg, and brown rice in mine with the honey soy sauce which came to 546 calories. I ate half, and took the rest home for lunch Friday.
Barely tapped into what I set aside for date night. We haven't eaten out nearly as often as we did before, and I was surprised at how fast I filled up and how much easier it was to just push my food away instead of continuing to pick at it as I waited for Mr. D to finish his. Before, I would have continued eating just because it was there in front of me.
And then there was Muddy's... Mr. D and I made a deal before I joined my gym. The gym membership is only $15 a month, and I probably spent more than that every month at Muddy's. Even though I limited my trip to Muddy's to once a week (and they were never just for me, I assure you), it was way too much sugar and money to waste on cupcakes... even if they are my absolute favorite. Instead of going once a week like we were, I would limit them to once a month. It's been a month, and one of my favorites- the chunky dunk- showed up in the case, so I enjoyed one. I know how a lot of people feel about "planned cheating," but I personally don't consider it cheating if it's been worked into your budgeted points/calories. I've failed countless times on diets where my favorite things are off limits, but learning to enjoy them occasionally (not once a week like before!) and in moderation is working for me. Not to mention, it's a whole lot easier for me to walk right past all the desserts that come into my office on a daily basis when I know I can enjoy what I really want at a later time. (I forgot to take a photo of my cupcake, but here's a box from months ago that Mr. D brought us to work one day. The top 6 are chunky dunks)

Then the movie! We picked up our tickets, and then hit the concession stand. No candy for me this time, but I did order a large diet coke (which I threw more than half away afterwards). I rarely drink sodas anymore, and I wished I'd just brought my water honestly. Mr. D still ordered a large popcorn though, even after I pointed out we have never finished an entire bucket (even pre-diet). Three hours later, the movie is over, and only about 1/3 was gone. I did have some of it, not because I was hungry, but because I was watching a movie and trying my best not to nod off. Happy to say that I realized what I was doing before I'd eaten much and put the bucket down.

The movie was amazing, or course. Very true to the book, which does mean some slower parts, but we loved it. I promised not to give anything away, so that's really all I can say! I usually get a little anxious when we plan activities like movies, or eating out, because I'm always worried about screwing it up. All in all, it was a wonderful date night though. I never once felt stuffed, and still had a great time with my husband. Victory :)


5 comments:

  1. We are going on Monday and I am so excited! Great idea on the cupcakes, I have started to do the same =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a nerd too!

    :feel very Revenge of the Nerds here:

    It is good to know that they aren't cutting things in the book out to save time. I want to see all of the book in these movies. Now I just have to wait until July to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't notice anything big that was cut out, but it's been a while since I read this one. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never understood why people get their panties in a wad about planned cheating. If you allow yourself one "cheat" item every once in awhile and plan in advance, isn't that a good thing? Your favorite dessert isn't off limits and you know that on a certain day that you work alittle harder. What's wrong with that?

    Ok, off my soap box. I think you did an AMAZING job on your date! Good food choices, no over eating, a planned dessert, and a good movie. You can't beat that.

    By the way, I loved how the HP movie stayed more with the book. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly!! When I get to my goal weight, I still plan on enjoying cupcakes once in a while, so I may as well learn moderation NOW, right?! I don't want to be one of those people that says "Ok, now I'm at goal- time to eat all my favorite stuff again!" And go nuts, and gain it all back. No thanks, I'll learn moderation as I go!

    I'm glad you had an awesome date night with HP too!!

    ReplyDelete