Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bring on the Challenges!


First, I apologize for the unnecessarily long post earlier.. I've been struggling with some frustration over a coworker lately that's started and stopped dieting with BFF and I recently. Between the two of us, we did everything we could possibly do to help her and keep her motivated, and it didn't work. She quit, and she started gaining again. How much, I'm not sure because she stopped sharing her progress with us completely. I felt guilty at first, wondering if I could have done more or if I was too over the top and ran her off. Then I felt frustrated because she needed this so badly and she just gave up. And then I felt just plain awful because I had a "Doh!" moment. How long did it take me to truly commit to doing what was necessary? I started in April, and lost 26 before my wedding in July. On the honeymoon- in ONE week- I gained 6 back. I gained and lost, gained and lost all through the remainder of July and August.. essentially hovering at that original 26. Then they started me on Zoloft just as I was getting back into my groove, and it seemed like nothing I did could make the scale budge. Now THAT is frustrating. I went back, and had a meltdown in my doctor's exam room about the weight gain and she switched me to something else- promising weight gain was not a side effect this time. I didn't start getting my act together until the end of September, October was better, and November has been hardcore. It took me months to finally "get it." It wasn't at all fair for me to be frustrated that she hadn't gotten it yet too. I'm committed, I've got my priorities in order, and I can only hope she soon will too. Until she makes that decision, there's nothing I can do aside from trying my best to set a good example.

And now this post is a long ramble too. Oy vey.
What I meant to say was that, obviously, I joined in Phase 3 of Allan's Challenge. The water hasn't been a problem, I've already dropped down to 1200 calories for most of November, and I'm exercising 6 days a week. Bring it.

I also meant to say that I also joined the December Go the Distance Challenge too. My goal is 50 miles in December, on the elliptical, treadmill, or outdoor walking/running. I honestly don't know what I normally do because I've never tracked it, so this will be interesting. Feel free to kick my ass here too. You know I like it!

Happy December everyone-- One more month in 2010 to give it your all!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you came to that realization. As much as you want to help your friend, she has to do it herself -- and FOR herself. There's only so much you can do for her. I think the best thing you can do for her is be a good example, and then be there for her as a friend. And hopefully she will come to you for support and advice when she IS ready to do it herself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true (and frustrating) that everyone one of us chubsters has to see the light for ourselves and only once we've had enough of all the crap that being overweight or obese brings us can we then truly do something about it. You can't wait for others to join you or you will suffer as a result.

    I really like joining in the challenges too, and Allan's SSDDD and the GTD ones have really helped in bringing some great results but at the end of the day they are merely useful tools that can only help if you are willing to put in the effort....you, like me, have had it with the crap that the flab brings and are doing something about it - there is now no stopping us because we have seen the light, we've felt it's warmth and realise that is the place we want to be....leave the door open for others to follow, but don't ever stand there waiting for them. It took me years...over a decade...of yo-yo dieting and piling weight back on before i came to the healthy place i am in right now, and no amount of encouragement or abuse (mostly the latter) from others could help me - i did that, all by myself...and so did you mate. Don't feel guilty or apologise for finally "getting it".

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard when we want to help someone but it just doesn't click for them yet. Good luck on your new challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it so hard to worry about someone else's weight loss, I know exactly how you feel. I find it stresses me out too much and can end up sabotaging my own when they go off the rails. It's great to have someone to do it with but we have to remember that we are most important! Good luck with your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging post on my blog today! I had my head in the sand this past week, but it's time to get completely serious with myself and allow myself to live a good life. Sounds like you are kicking butt with the working out and calories. Now that my toe is feeling well again, I'm going back to the gym and get re-dedicated to msyelf and my goals! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're all right, the best I can do is stick to my plan and hope that eventually she'll decide to join me. My office in general is a land mine for dieting.. My health, not hers, has to be my priority as awful as that sounds.

    I hope you're feeling better Jaime, you deserve a good holiday! Have you looked at the December GTD Challenge? You set a mileage goal for yourself to meet for the month. I thought it was a good way to get my butt to the gym on days I just want to lounge. It would be awesome if you did it with me!!

    Thank you everyone for the well wishes on the challenges! You should all join me! Make the last days of 2010 count, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome stuff here, bring on the challenges indeed. Remember, all these challenge are great, but the most important challenge is the one in your mind each day; each day is day-1 of todays challenge to re-commit to whet we know we need and then get it done. Stay Hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't agree more Patrick! I think my thought process concerning food has changed more than the scale in the last 2 months, which is only going to make the rest so much easier!

    ReplyDelete