Monday, November 29, 2010

I am Woman, Hear Me.. Oh. %$@!

(That's what I was thinking about the time I rounded the corner and saw The Hill of Death.)

It all started out so innocently this morning.. I packed my bag with all my workout clothes and took to work with me as BFF and I were planning to do Day 1 together. Unfortunately, her stomach turned nasty so plans changed. Maybe I should mention that they were also expecting thunderstorms all afternoon/evening. And I knew this. Did I move to the gym? Nooo. Part of my reasoning was that my next 5K will be outside, so maybe training outside was the best way to go. Part of me just didn't want to get on a treadmill during my gym's busiest time, and not be able to run with a LOT of witnesses.

I chose to do this around our apartment complex, in the dark, in the rain. Admittedly, it was only sprinkling at first so it wasn't all that hardcore. The warm-up was easy, easier than the last time I tried this- at least that's what I've told myself. And then I hear my phone announce that it's time for the first run.. and I find myself rounding the corner and staring at The Hill of Death. (To be fair, most people may just think of it as a hill but I saw imminent doom.)

I owned that hill- the first round. It just so happened to work out that every other run took place on that hill. By the seventh one, I was convinced that the voice telling me it was time to "run" sounded just a tiny bit amused... and that the security guard wasn't leaving that spot until he was sure I wasn't an escaped loon. That's about the time the thunderstorm they've been warning us about all afternoon finally showed up and it started pouring! I could have blamed the thunder and lightning (which may have been wiser) but I just refused to quit. I really struggled with run 7 and 9 though, and had to stop a little earlier than I was supposed to, but I was just happy to finish it honestly.

When I finally walked in the door, I looked like a drowned rat.. Mr. D was making dinner, so Chris snapped a picture for me.
Day 1 sucked hard. It hurt to breathe, that place where my thighs hit my torso aches, but guess what? My knee hasn't protested a bit so far. And the best part- I finished Week 1, Day 1 of C25K tonight, despite the "fat girl" voice telling me I should quit because of the storm, or the hill, or the pain in my chest. Kiss my slightly-smaller-ass, fat girl.

14 comments:

  1. LOL - kiss your ass indeed.

    I'm not going to complain about how humid it was in Houston in November when you actually ran in the thunderstorm. I HATE lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you are hilarious, I see me in that post, lmao, keep going, you did awesome, storm and all you swore and conquered ha-ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally awesome! Good for you! The look on your face says "accomplishment".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so funny! Great work getting through day 1 in the crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, I am so proud of you for finishing and getting it done. You are rock your 5k also. I cant wait. Whoop Whoop!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Love the pictures and you really kicked arse! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys!! Is it awful that my first thought when the lightning started was, "Great, I'm gonna die out here and my bloggy buddies won't know I actually did it!" The hubby has been instructed that should this occur, he has to notify y'all!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - too funny! I'm on Week 2 of C25K, starting tonight, and I'll definitely be telling my fat girl to shove it the whole way through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at you dripping all over my laptop screen here, where is that sweat towel??? Keep it up, have plenty of towels around here for posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!! All the rain hid most of the sweat, but husband still said I had to shower before dinner! Still pretty sore, may be taking an extra day before Day 2.. Will reevaluate tomorrow. Good luck on tonight's run Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are inspiring! Maybe i'll have to have a go at the C25K :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen a lot of people doing it lately, Suzi, and all of them seem to love it. Can't say I'm loving it yet, but I did love pushing myself, and I'm sticking it out regardless. I want that "runner's high" everyone's talked about!! I may be repeating days/weeks forever, but I'll get there. You should definitely join in with me!

    ReplyDelete