As promised, here's the first edible one we tried this week! It's from "Now Eat This" by Rocco Dispirito.I personally loved this one, as did my son. Mr. D wasn't head-over-heels though and I'm attributing this to the fact that my FIL makes the best homemade macaroni there ever was.
Macaroni and Cheese with a Crunch
Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (recipe for this below)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package, 7-9 minutes. Drain.
3. While the pasta is cooking, bring the onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in the cheddar until it has melted. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the yogurt.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the cooked macaroni with the cheese sauce to coat thoroughly. Season with salt to taste. Pour the macaroni into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the panko over the top. Top with parmigiano-reggiano.
5. Bake until the cheese has melted and the macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
227 calories, 6.5g fat, 3g fiber
4.5 WW points
1 large vidalia onion, roughly chopped
9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup water
Salt and Pepper
1. Combine the onion, garlic, and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
Can store up to 72 hours in fridge.
85 calories, 0.3g fat, 3g fiber