Sunday, November 7, 2010

A New Recipe... Sorta.

I'm a scale addict, so no one should be surprised that I "checked" on that 2lb gain this morning. I'm not logging it until my official WI later this week, but it does appear they've already left the building. Isn't it just amazing what eating right can do for you?!?

I honestly did not track every single point after lunch yesterday, but I was careful with portions and tried to give that whole "intuitive eating" thing I keep reading about a try. It sounds so simple in theory.. just listen to your body for queues as to what it needs. Unfortunately, sometimes my head completely disagrees and is much more vocal about it! Has anyone else had success with this before? I'm nowhere near ready to leave the comfort of my point tracker yet, but one day.

On another note, I tried a new recipe last night. And yuck! My wonderful in-laws (be jealous of their awesomeness) sent me a new cookbook for my birthday by Rocco Dispirito, "Now Eat This." My mother and I watched him on an episode of "The Doctors" and were completely sold on this guy. He was a chef for "Biggest Loser" at one point, and the doctors seemed to be in lust with his brownies. So of course, I had to make the brownies first. They're made with black beans.

Yes, you read that right... Black. Beans. Brownies. Huh? Despite my initial repulsion, I trusted Rocco and his bean brownies.

I baked. I ate. I gagged.

I double checked all my measurements, and nothing was askew. Mine looked nothing like his picture in the book (they never look JUST like the book, but wow!), so I'm wondering if I over-mixed? If I ever try them again, I'm adding more Splenda and less espresso powder for starters. They may eventually be edible after a little tweaking. If anyone is crazy enough to want to try it, I'll post the recipe.

I'm trying his Almost General Tso's Chicken tonight. Don't let me down, Rocco. I may get in the kitchen later and try a recipe for pumpkin apple bread in another cookbook, Weight Watchers this time, I received for my birthday. I wonder if my family and friends are trying to tell me something...

I shall report back if Rocco doesn't poison me first!

7 comments:

  1. It's so nice that they are giving you healthy cookbooks! It's too bad they were horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL is very supportive of my healthier ways, even from 1100 miles away :) Whereas my own mom made ribs, potato salad, rolls, and baked beans for my birthday dinner! I love them both, but they're so different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black Bean Brownies? I want to gag just reading the words. That sounds horrible!

    Thanks for your comment on my blog yesterday. That was a hard post to put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The doctors really talked them up.. actors.

    We all have bad days, sometimes just knowing someone else has been there helps. I'm trying to treat my weight as a symptom now, not THE problem. Learning to talk about those negative feelings is just the first step, but you can do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am back reading, so not sure if you figured this out or not yet...but take a regular brownie mix (not the low fat one, worse nutritional information)...take a can of black beans drained and rinsed. Blend beans and 1 cup of water...blend blend blend...then mix with dry brownie mix and bake as directed. Won't be able to tell the beans are in there, less fat and more fiber. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried the brownies thing again honestly, but may give that a go! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are welcome...it is a cousin recipe to the cake mix/can diet soda recipe in my opionion. :o)

    ReplyDelete