Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday NSV's

Sundays around here are usually pretty lazy. Mr. D works most of the time, so Chris and I spend a lot of the day reading or playing video games (assuming we got all errands and cleaning done the day before). We slept until about 10 and then I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, per Chris' request. I use the Fiber One pancake mix and sugar-free syrup, so it was still under 300 calories with coffee included.

I spent a lot of time this morning venting to Mr. D about Thanksgiving after breakfast.. Most family events come with frustration, which I'm sure is normal. My grandmother has decided not to come because her deadbeat son is not invited. I won't go into details, but the man has been living off (and WITH for the past few years) my grandparents, and really is a waste of space. He absolutely hates me because unlike most people in my family, I will call bullshit to his face. He's one of those men that talk a good game about "a woman's place" but just let one get in his face, and he becomes a coward. I've tried for years to be pleasant and civil to him for my grandmother's sake, but after the last encounter with him over my wedding, I'm done. I'm just not up to playing "big happy family" with him at Thanksgiving dinner this year. When inviting my grandmother to Thanksgiving, my dad apparently made it clear that his brother was not invited, so she hung up on him after making it clear she wouldn't be coming either.

Moving on.. I'm in charge of the ham, green beans (my grandmother's recipe, but since she's not coming..), homemade baked macaroni and cheese (FIL's recipe), pumpkin pie, and chocolate cream pie. While dividing the list up, my mom actually asked, "Now you're not going to make this all healthy crap, right? Otherwise I'll pick up pies at the store." I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a bad thing. Gee, I wonder why my entire family is overweight or obese? She also proceeded to lecture me on how diet-obsessed I've become lately. My BFF mentioned this about a week ago too, and while it's true, I don't know that it's a bad thing right now. This is just my opinion, but I've obsessed about food and eating for years now. I doubt I'm the only obese person that's gotten just a little too excited about Thanksgiving dinner and everything I'd be enjoying days ahead of time. And I'm not the only one in my family- you'd think my mom's dressing was an orgasm in a dish. How is obsessing over a healthy diet any different, aside from being better for me? While they're dreaming of pie and dressing this year, I'll be planning my one plate and workouts.

We had to stop by my mom's today for something Chris left behind when we spent the night, and I asked her if I could see the pants I'd given her that were now too big on me. And then I asked her to take a picture of me in them (please ignore the stretch marks). These were snug when I bought them back in early March this year. This is where obsessing has gotten me:
'Nuff said.

Oh! And that NSV.. I did 4th day of the 30 Day Shred today, and I made it through the entire level 1 without needing a 5 second break. Mr. D watched me the first time I did it, and I had to stop halfway through just about everything because my arms were burning. Not today. On top of that, Chris was sitting at the table doing his Lego's and told me, "You're doing a great job Momma!" He also said he had never seen so much sweat before when I was done, but we're going to focus on the first comment!

9 comments:

  1. Great work! Just ignore everyone and do what is right for you. I find when we start something we do get a little "obsessed" but it's just a way of really figuring out what we are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, good old family drama. Good for you to not take the crap. You can't control how other people are going to feel or what they will do, so why bother? It is impossible to please everyone. Congrats on the NSV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family drama over the holidays is a must. It doesn't matter how hard I try to prevent it, it's always there. I've already got a call from my Dad about my mother in law inviting 4 more people to HIS house without asking.

    I would make something that is "healthy crap" and not tell anyone. See who notices. I'm making a sweet potato pie with splenda and not telling a soul what's in it. A good friend of mine tested it and said it was delicious! I will pass the recipe along if you would like.

    Stretch marks? What stretch marks? All I see is some huge pants that would fall off your skinny ass. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm obsessed (I prefer diligent, LOL!) but it's working, so I'm not apologizing for it yet!

    Oh family drama.. It wouldn't feel like the holidays without it, but seriously.. who has the energy to deal with it? I went as far as telling my parents that should he show up, we may just enjoy dinner at home. It's their home, and I respect their right to invite whomever, but I just refuse to get sucked into it this year. Not to mention, I'd probably end up stuffing my face to avoid creating tension.

    I'm using Splenda and egg substitute in my pumpkin pie this year, and light whip cream. I doubt they'll even notice, and I'll deny it if they do ;) I promised not to tamper with my FIL's macaroni simply because Mr. D is so picky that there really isn't much he'll enjoy at dinner. So I'm leaving it as is, and plan to have a small spoonful.

    Definitely send me the pie recipe FM!! thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

    Ingredients:

    2 medium sized sweet potatoes(easiest to just peel, then boil them whole)

    Pet ritz deep dish frozen pie crust (9 inch) 1/2 cup

    egg whites (I used refrigerated kind)

    1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk

    1/2 cup sugar free maple syrup

    1 tsp nutmeg

    2 tsp cinnamon

    10 packets of Splenda Feel free to adjust the Splenda, nutmeg & cinnamon to your liking.

    Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients til well blended. I hand mixed 1st then put it into a blender & blended for about a minute til smooth. Pour filling into frozen pie crust. Bake for about 40 mins. It'll look puffed up when u first take it out of the oven, but settles once cool. It's best to cool in the fridge for a few hours. Top with fat free or light cool whip & voila! A low calorie alternative to a holiday pie standard! Makes 8 slices. Each slice is 3 pts. A slice of a typical sweet potato pie is 9 pts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I have totally walked out of a holiday get together when a drug addicted/frequent prisoner/gun welding cousin of ours was invited. I did not want my kids around him and if they couldn't respect my feelings, then I certainly didn't need to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great NSV!

    It sounds like you have a great week planned for Thanksgiving. Sorry to hear your grandmother isn't coming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Obsess on girl! It looks good on you. :)

    And I don't even want to talk about my family issues. My policy is to not even answer the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may need bail money by the time this is all over, haha! I hope everyone is staying on track and making their plan for tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete