Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Resolutions? Eh.

I know, I still have that Christmas post to work on, but that's being put on hold until I have more time this weekend. Or, IF I have more time this weekend. Calories have been great this week, all under 1200, exceeding the max water levels, 30 minutes on the treadmill (before I started coughing), and at least a good hour or more playing all the new games on the Kinect. My favorites so far are My Shape and Dance Central. And so help me, if anyone says My Shape is not exercise, I will kick you as soon as my thighs and butt stop aching :-P I like the game so far (it definitely is a good workout) but I still have a lot to explore.

And my scale said I was UP 2 lbs from Sunday this morning. There's no way that's even possible, but I double checked. And triple checked. I'm trying not to let it bother me yet, it could just be water retention, but from what? If it's not gone soon, I may start posting my food intake- maybe someone else can see something I'm missing because there's no way I've got 2 lbs of phlegm and lactic acid, you know? Oy. A coworker gave me magic hippie tea today that helped with the phlegm some. Mint, menthol, other leafy stuff.. you know... magic hippie tea. ;-)

On to why I'm putting off my to-do list to post tonight.. New Year's Eve is Friday, and everyone will be making their resolutions. Many won't see the beginning of February, mine never did. I've spent the last several days thinking about my 2o11 resolutions. Here's what I've got so far:

Nothing.

Why? Go back- my resolutions in the past have never even seen February, remember?! Like the phrase says, continuing to do the same thing expecting different results is insane. This year is different. This year, I am different. You'll find no resolutions here. Instead, I'm making plans to stay consistent with the habits I've developed over 2010, and build on them.

Eating healthier? Check. To build on this, I'll be eating "cleaner" as much as I can with 2 boys in the house. More to come on this later.

Exercising regularly? Check (until the last 2-3 weeks due to injury and head/chest cold). To build on this, not quite sure what I'm doing yet. For now, I've got to work on just getting back into it while still getting what's left of the crud out of my chest. Working out isn't really working out with all the coughing that starts up.. I'll get there though.

Sleeping, vitamins, etc? Check-- sorta! Obviously there's more to health than just losing weight. Sleep is one area I struggle with. I won't let Dr. H give me sleep Rx, it's melatonin when I get desperate, but mostly I just need to make myself get in bed at a decent hour. I take forever to fall asleep, so I need to plan ahead and give myself extra time. Also, I did upgrade from my gummy vitamins to big-girl vitamins this week! Don't laugh, adult vitamins have always made me nauseated (see? I'm sensitive to all these pills!), so it was flintstones or gummies for me. I've started taking them right before bed though, and that seems to help a lot.

I'm not setting a deadline for hitting goal this year. Even setting the "199 by 2011" goal has been counterproductive the closer we get to the New Year. As I did the one time I got close to breaking it a few years ago, I freaked out. Despite what I said, I got too anxious when I saw how close I was, and started obsessing over every bite I took. Not productive, not for me at least. It's completely worked against me and taken the focus off the work, which is essentially why I had to drop out of most of the challenges. I was too focused on the end goal rather than the work I needed to do to get there.. if that makes sense.

Another area I really want to work on is handling my frustrations better (I stole this one from Lanie!). I try to avoid the drama, be it family or blogland (and there's been so much lately!). I read what I want, I comment if I feel like I have something helpful to add or if I just want a blogger buddy to know that I care, and I stay out of all the wars. I'm trying to control my moods without medicinal assistance right now, and some days, it's a struggle. I have a ridiculous fear of becoming one of those people that takes a dozen pills daily, most of them to counter the side effects caused by 1-2 pills. My mom's one of those people (not sure how many she's on now) that started off needing blood pressure medicine and Zoloft. Then it was Ambien to combat insomnia from Zoloft. Now she's on at least 6 that I know about. Right now, I'm on birth control and nothing else. I quit the Buspar, we'll see how much trouble I am in for that next week.. I just don't want to become reliant on pills unless it truly is necessary. If I can get the same mood stabilizers from exercise, that's what I'm aiming for.

On another note, I started reading Jackie Warner's book to get ready for Phase 4, and I thought there was a lot of great info in there, although I think the 2 "treat meals" is a lot! Not so much apparently, Allan said it's really just a plan with her name on it. Well, damn. So much for getting ahead, eh? I really did like the cleaner eating stuff, and that it pushes such low sugar (no white anything too), which is what made me want to try the cleaner eating stuff. I'm still reading through the exercise section, and the circuits look scary! I'd recommend the book, but since the diet is apparently just stuff with her name on it, and the Phase 4 packets will surely have the exercises in it, really no point I guess. If you have a Nook, I'll lend it to you though :-D

Time to go take advantage of Mr. D!

5 comments:

  1. If you've been eating well on your calories all week, then I'm sure the 2 lbs is just water retention. I know how it can start you to worrying, though! Be sure you're getting plenty of rest, though, especially since you're getting over a cold!

    I don't think you need to bother making any New Year's Resolutions, especially since you're already doing all the things most people make as their resolutions! Well, maybe the sleep thing, but you're already aware of that. (It's something I need to work on as well...) ;}

    Happy New Year to you, Mrs. D! Enjoy taking advantage of Mr. D (love it!) :D And just keep on keepin' on! :)

    -als (formerly bd160)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make New Years Resolutions- but ones that I can attain. I never set specific numbers- like what weight I want to get to, or how much weight I want to lose- they're always unrealistic and lead to disappointment. But there is nothing wrong with setting realistic goals- the ones that you talked about are basically New Years Resolutions. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely ever make new year resolutions, because I usually quit by mid-January if I do. LOL Just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll reach your weight loss goals. I hope 2011 is a fabulous year for you! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Magic Hippy Tea!!! Love it.


    If your legs/muscles are sore - that means that they have extra water in them...to help repair. That might have something to do with it.

    Sounds like you are on track - keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those 2 pesky lbs were gone when I got up this morning, but not showing a loss yet. I'm okay with that right now after thinking I'd gained 2!

    I always make them Steph, and it's always "lose weight!" I'm jedi-mind tricking myself this year and just not calling them resolutions. Improving on what I'm already doing is the goal! And 2011 is definitely going to be our year!

    Tamzin- I'm weird about hot tea ever since I tried green tea with cranberry. The tea she made me smelled weird, and I was skeptical, but I'm a convert! Time to stock up on magic hippy tea!

    ALS- Meeeeeeeeeeee toooooooooooo!!! It's about damn time I start feeling like a newlywed, LOL!

    ReplyDelete