Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spawn: Day 2

Day 2 of SSDDDC has come and gone.. Water has been great, calories have been under 1200.

I made a change to my breakfast the last 2 mornings, and boy do I feel a difference. Since prior to Thanksgiving, I've been all about eggs- mostly omelets- and it's worked for me. In the packets Allan sent us though, I read that we should be striving to include a starch as well. Memphis has been freezing this week, so hot oatmeal sounded awesome. Tuesday morning I used whole grain oats, a diced up apple, some cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of sugar free maple syrup was 247 calories-- and so filling I couldn't finish it and skipped my morning snack. Today, I threw in a banana and 1 tbsp peanut butter-- again, too full to finish it and skipped the morning snack. I don't like how heavy it felt on my stomach so early in the morning, I felt a little sluggish (though admittedly, that may be lack of sleep too), and all things carb were so much more tempting the rest of the day. It didn't help that so much junk came through the office today either (pies, cakes, fried fish- you name it), but I did stay away from them. So what have we learned? Apparently I can't have carbs first thing in the morning! I'll start adding some fruit in with my eggs though.. I think that's a fair deal.

There's been no working out the last 2 days either, partially because that muscle in my lower leg is still sore, and partially because I just wasn't feeling it. Between the 12 hour day and the issues with Mr. D, I'm just drained. Tomorrow I'll be sucking it up either way and hitting the gym. No excuses.

10 comments:

  1. Porridge is definitely good to keep you filled up but i know what you mean about feeling "too full". If i am exercising in the morning, the oats are definitely too much on my stomach.

    Keep staying away from the siren's call of office food crap-ola and i hope you are able to get back to C25K soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it sucks to feel too full... it is such a great feeling to be full off a smaller amount of food. I could easily eat triple the amount I eat for breakfast now and still want more a few months ago. Now I eat my cereal and a banana and I'm good to go until lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just the opposite, I guess. If I don't eat some type of carbs in the morning, I feel sick to my stomach. Strange, huh? I think adding a piece of fruit to your breakfast is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel sick if I eat eggs in the morning, too. I usually stick with carbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could spread the breakfast over two meals, pre gym, post gym and have the carbs in the back end.. Sorry, not being cute..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love oatmeal. I like the steel cut oats that take a lot longer to cook. The carbs are more complex and lower on teh glycemic index, so don't release sugar into the blood as fast.

    You might want to have a look at them! :)

    Yes...time to get moving. I didn't do my exercise yesterday and I'm missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good that you are getting back to the gym! It will make you feel better, help relieve the stress!

    I can't have eggs anymore - don't digest them well. I love cold cereal in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oatmeal w/ peanut butter and banana is the best way to end the day for me. It is like wrapping my tummy in a warm, comfy blanket.

    I got to start the day with protein though. That fuels me and keeps me full for half the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I may cut the oatmeal serving in half and see how that goes! I did end up just cutting my breakfast into 2 smaller meals over the morning, and that helped some! Can't tell you how much I love saying it, but my stomach just can't handle so much all at once without feeling gross :) Still going to do my best to fit as many food groups into breakfast as I can though. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Mrs. D! I've given you a Blog award! :D http://dancingtowardsmyself.blogspot.com/2010/12/and-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete