Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Kettlebell- not to be confused with kettle corn.

First, a big hug and thank you to everyone that commented yesterday.. Right now, there's a lot of extra stress from my family and I have no control over any of it, I can't change/fix any of it, and I let it get to me. I know better, and I'll do better at keeping Debbie Downer at bay.

Now, yesterday I had planned to use my new kettlebell and Bob Harper's DVD that I bought to go with it but, after dealing with my asshat scale, chose to skip it in the morning. By the time I got home from work last night, I had such a headache (I have a history of migraines, but this was the first I've had in a while) and wasn't sure I'd be able to work out at all. After dinner, medicine, and tons of water, it started to let up so I popped the DVD in. Less than 10 minutes in, I had to stop because the higher my heart rate went, the more my head throbbed. I was more than a little bummed, so I waited. Half an hour later, I tried again and made it about 40 minutes in before I had to stop again- mostly because my whole body felt like jello! I want to go through the entire workout again (it's 50 minutes long so most of what I missed was a cool down) before really making a decision, but I think I prefer Jillian's 30 Day Shred. Bob's Kettlebell DVD is a little repetitive- though, so is Jillian's, but it doesn't feel so bad because it's a shorter workout. There was also this one move that I just could not do- scaling. Basically, you're walking yourself across the room in push-up position. There are also TONS of squats throughout the workout, and I'm pretty much sore in that area constantly now, so the verdict today is: ouch.

I will say this.. After Bob's crazy scaling exercise, I won't be complaining about the closed grip push-ups anymore ;)

On another note, someone recently asked when I would be taking a January progress photo. Honestly, I don't know if there will be one for January because I'm in pretty much the exact same place I was in December. The next one will be taken after I break 200, whether I can see a difference or not.

Tonight is Zumba, let's hope I can still move tomorrow morning!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

16 comments:

  1. I sooo want a kettle bell. Keep us posted as you use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok just started following based only on the title of this post! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basically, you're walking yourself across the room in push-up position <-------SAY WHAT? Oh, I could not do that - not now anyway. Yep, no kettle corn for us (lol). Don't worry about expressing your obstacles (mood, whatever) it's all part of the journey. What you learn from it is the most important, right? Stress - POW, BOOM, kick it to the curb. I wish we could, right? I'm always looking for ways to handle and deal with stress too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zumba and zumba well, my guess is you will still move about just fine. Been thinking of getting a kettle ball myself. Just looks like a cool workout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I won't be going tonight- the friend I go with is sick :( I have the DVD set though, so I'll still get my zumba on! Or my kettlebell.. Either way, I'll feel the burn ;)

    And nice to meet you, Teresa!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhhhhhh the kettlebell!! You either love or hate it... I soooooo love to hate it! lol

    I do love me some Zumba though.
    Love your blog!!!
    Robin
    http://www.1girlgettinfit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA!! that title made me laugh. I have a kettle bell and I need to start using it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to try out kettle bells. That's a good idea to get a dvd workout to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen those kettle balls advertised all over the place, and I would love to get one some day. :) Way to go on that exercise, hon! Oh, and I literally HATE SQUATS! Those are torture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so psyched to get a kettlebell-do you have any other DVDs?

    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally buying myself some kettle bells for my birthday. There is a set that I really want to buy. It seems like a cool, different way to workout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the kettle bell! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

    I have an award for you over on my blog! Come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am wanting a kettle bell! Don't have any Bob/Jillian workouts (still plenty to choose from though) and would like to try one. Good job on getting back into the groove, and I hope your headache is gone, gone, gone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never worked with a kettle ball. It looks interesting though. I'd be afraid the 2 year old twins would slam it against each other! I woke up with a super bad headache that I hope doesn't turn into a migraine too. I haven't had a headache in months really, I was wondering if all the extra water was helping it.

    So glad you are moving forward after that horrible day yesterday. Remember, it was yesterday, today and tomorrow and the rest of your life are ahead! You'll seee 199 and we'll all do a little dance when you do! Believe me, I'm coming after that number myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried a kettlebell, but they're sure getting popular. Our gym doesn't have them yet, but they're looking at getting some. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Polar: the DVDs I have are Zumba (the set), Bob's Kettlebell, BL 30 Day Jump Start, BL Power Sculpt, BL Last Chance Workout, and a Dancing With the Stars that I just don't use. We have Comcast, and they put a lot of exercise videos On Demand, so I try those sometimes.

    I'll definitely keep y'all posted as I use it- considering trading this one (10 lb) in for a heavier one, but we'll see!

    ReplyDelete