Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quick update between nose-blowing.

Seems my cold has come back for round 2, and meaner than before. OR I've caught the flu from my son and it's less-severe because I had my flu shot. Either way, kill me now. I'll take a stomach bug over a head cold any day. Not being able to breathe out of my nose is cruel and unusual punishment. Currently making myself some homemade chicken noodle soup full of carrots and celery, fat free chicken broth, whole wheat egg noodles.. you get the idea. No sick days from healthy eating. There may, however, be sick days from exercise since I cannot breathe. I'm popping Zumba in later, we'll see how far I make it.

I did, however, succumb to a cupcake last night. We had friends visiting that we haven't seen since November that share my passion for Muddy's cupcakes (it's karma since I was talking about them at Fat Mom's blog the other day). First, I made spaghetti and French bread for dinner. Everyone else had whole wheat noodles while I had a small amount of sauce with my spaghetti squash (still trying to get used to that texture). They brought me a Prozac, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. And, can I say, how ironic is that after talking Dr. H out of anti-depressants on Monday? Anywho, I estimated the cupcake was 300-350 (and I'm estimating high to be on the safe side) and I was still under my 1200 calories for the day. Thank you, spaghetti squash! Glad I didn't waste those calories on noodles. Even though the cupcake fit into my budget, this will not become a habit. I know me, and I know I have a sweet tooth. A well planned and budgeted treat occasionally is fine, but once a week is not occasionally.

We had a blast with the friends, but I'm also glad to have my quiet house back with the being sick and all. Tine for soup and more medicine!

11 comments:

  1. I have escaped the sickness so far. Felt it coming on but never developed! Yea!

    Evil cupcakes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better soon. I notice these colds are going around for Round 2 on a lot of people this year - yuck! Mmm, love spaghetti squash - so filling and so low calorie. Cupcakes aren't my drug of choice (lol) but at least it fit into your daily calories - obviously, as you said, not something you would have all the time. Onward we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you feel worse this second time around, go see a Dr. Mine turned out to be an infection caused by the flu. Hope you feel better, and thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puffs Plus w/ Vicks is a godsend when you can't breathe.

    Feel better!

    And I'm jealous you get to have cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darla- I'm trying my best to get used to it! The whole wheat noodles I use averages about 200 calories a serving. Squash gives me extra wiggle room, and it doesn't taste weird, it's just the texture ;)

    Ninja- I work in a large doctor's office, so I'll be heading down to the nurse station Monday if it's not better. They've been warned by boss-friend not to give me any sinus cocktails again though. Heh. I don't believe in toughing it out if I don't have to, so I'll take whatever they'll give me!

    Kim- Husband's bringing me the ones with the lotion after he gets off because my nose is so raw! I got these nifty plug in things that look like the glade stuff but put the menthol in the air for my son this week, so we'll be picking up more for me now too, LOL! Chris and I make a sad, sad pair right now- neither one of us can breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm SO sorry you feel bad. Sending a ton of hugs, prayers, and cyber chicken soup your way. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saline nasal rinses often, Sudafed (the real stuff you ask at the Pharmacy), rest, fluids, Vitamin C, elderberry extract, garlic. :)

    Feel better.

    And I totally understand dropping out due to lack of "wiggle room"....honestly, with all my food allergies and limitations, it's gonna get real boring real soon. Well, we were warned. Hah!

    Thanks for the visit.

    Oh, and yes, cupcakes are killer. Since Muddy's are smallish, right, you probably guessed right on the calories. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10328143

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Mrs. D., I hope you feel better soon. Not being able to breathe due to a cold is miserable! And so is a nose raw from blowing... :( Here's to the power of chicken noodle soup, boosted by the fact that it's home made! I'm sending healing vibes your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just finishing that from Christmas - I used a nasal spray (can't take much because of nursing) and it did the trick! Got rid of the pressure and let me get the sleep I needed to get past it! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I smeared Vick's everywhere last night- in my nose, under my nose, on my chest.. and I CAN BREATHE!! Only a little, but I still claim victory :) Thanks for all the healthy vibes!

    Princess- My doctor was not a fan, especially since I'd already hit a plateau. Do what's going to work for you- no one knows your body better than you!

    ReplyDelete