Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow, Smoothies, and Snacking.

We live in Memphis so as expected, the 2 inches of snow we got last night has essentially shut the entire city down. Chris' school and work closed, AND since we're both getting over being sick, we can't exactly go out and enjoy the snow. We've been playing video games and watching "Despicable Me" all day, much like the last 2 days except Mr. D is here too. That means I've heard all about how silly we're all acting over 2 inches of snow.. Yankee ;) My only real concern is that we live on the second floor in our apartment building, and those stairs are sure to be icy in the morning. Since BFF's mom fell on ice and has spent almost a month in rehab after surgery to fix her leg.. let's say I'm a little more cautious than I used to be.

Not sure I mentioned this before, but Mr. D bought me a new blender called the Ninja for Christmas. Well, sorta for Christmas. I wouldn't let him wrap it and put it under the tree because I don't want him getting in the habit of buying me cooking utensils or cleaning supplies for Christmas, heh. He's made iced coffee with it a few times, but today we made our first fruit smoothies. 3 cups strawberries, 1 large banana, 1 1/2 cups fat free yogurt, and a few packets of sweetener made 3 smoothies. We didn't really have a recipe, just threw stuff in there until it tasted right. The best part- Chris actually liked it! He's such a picky eater, especially over fruits (he doesn't like anything but bananas for the most part), so a smoothie pumping him full of over 2 servings of fruit has me smiling. We have peaches, strawberries, mixed berries, a pomegranate, and bananas- so if anyone has any really good suggestions on what to mix it with, I'd really appreciate it!

On the exercise front.. Oh boy. I tried again this morning using My Shape for Kinect and lasted about 20 minutes before all of the moving around sent me running for the bathroom. The congestion and cough is almost completely gone, but I'm still having weird stomach issues of the gross kind. If the nausea isn't gone by tomorrow morning, I may have to skip Zumba class, assuming it isn't cancelled for the BLIZZARD already!

On the eating front, things have been okay. I swear, if Chris hadn't been home, it probably would have been worse. I made that pot of homemade chicken noodle soup (mine comes to about 230 calories per 2 cups) because he needed it too, and I've eaten off that quite a bit. Last night I made a bad call and skipped dinner, getting a small snack instead. By the time Mr. D was home and ready for dinner, I was starving too, so ended up eating at about 9 with him- way past my 7pm time limit I'm aiming for. I ended the day with 1269 calories, almost 100 oz of water, and several cups of coffee (which helped with the junk in my chest). Not awful, but I need to do better with my night time eating. I seem to go through phases when it's tougher. And now that I've typed that, I'm wondering if it's coinciding with my TOM, since that's due at the end of this week. Hmm. Anyone else snack more around theirs? I don't use mine as a free pass to eat whatever I'm craving, and have even seen losses afterwards, but it is harder to stay on track.

Stupid hormones.


11 comments:

  1. You got that right...stupid hormones! I used to really struggle around that time but since I got my IUD after baby and things kind of leveled out I don't really notice anymore.

    Good job keeping on track - watch the activity, you don't want to make it worse! Maybe try a yoga dvd or something low impact like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love those hormones. Hey, nicely played not letting Mr. D. put The Ninja under the tree ;-)

    I'll have to try to find my two favourite smoothie recipes and e-mail them to you. This snow is crazy isn't it? Everywhere you hear, snow, snow and more snow. Our city shuts down with minimal snow too. We are not used to that kind of activity on the West Coast. Feel better soon. Take it easy on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dealing with TOM now, and I definitely notice that my cravings are horrible around this time. Ugh. I'm jealous of your snow. We were told for three days that we would get snow yesterday and today and we got NADA. Grrrrr. We were all SO bummed. What did you think of Despicable Me? We want to see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Video games and DVDs on a anow day? I wish I could have had that kind of day today. That sounds fun.

    I definitely want and need to eat more around the TOM. I allow myself to have about 1500-1600 calories on those days - usually more protein.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love smoothies....such a great way to get your 5-a-day in even when you ain't in the mood for fruit.

    As i'm a dude I can't comment about TOM issues but I can say that I use illness as an excuse to snack and generally revert to being a slob. My flu is all but done now though, so I am throwing my all into getting back on track tomorrow....it just seems soooo much harder to get back to eating healthy and regular exercise after the excesses of the silly-season and the crap-fest of the last 2 weeks of flu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Put some fresh (or dried, even) ginger in with your peach and yogurt smoothie. Yum, and it will help rev your metabolism. Are you using frozen fruit? that will help it be more like a milkshake:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling a little bit better! yes, I totally want a twix bar at TOM lol!!! Enjoy the smoothies, I had sooo many when I was pregnant to help me get all my fruits and veggies :)
    I just got the Michael Jackson and Zumba for the Wii yesterday, I cannot wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hormones are very frustrating! I don't have too many TOM issues since I'm on a BC pill that prevents it- but every once in a while I do- so when I start getting cravings and want to eat everything chocolate- then I know what's causing it. But I remember how bad it used to be before the pill!

    Make sure you rest- your body needs it when you're sick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOM stuff.. I'm on BC, and I've noticed it's not nearly as bad as it used to be since I switched pills last year (this one has iron pills instead of sugar pills). I still want to snack a lot though and never sure if it's physical or psychological.

    Stephanie- "Despicable Me" is one of my new favorites! Agnes is just too funny!

    Skinny- I use a lot of frozen fruit simply because I'm usually the only one that eats it at my house, and I hate throwing stuff out. Bananas, apples, and oranges I get fresh though and once summer gets here, the berries will be too most likely. They just go bad so fast during the off season. Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good homemade chicken noodle soup is worth a bunch of cash. I say that because whenever I make it nobody likes it. I can cook big time, but soup, no idea why I fail.

    Smoothies, such a great food to lose weight with, but they can be dangerous too if we get carried away with them. Enjoy the blender!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning, I have an award for you here:
    http://bit.ly/gseB4j

    ReplyDelete