Sunday, September 11, 2011

A slow suicide?

First things first, weigh-in. I lost .8 lbs this week. That't ridiculous, but I'm not going to allow myself to get frustrated over it. I know what happens to my losses when I start to stress. Maybe it's the weights (doubtful), but my money is on my water intake. I slacked off this week unintentionally. Fixing that immediately.

BFF's husband and I met at the gym this morning, and I'm already a little sore! Apparently, we're better matched as gym buddies than bff and I. We both hit the elliptical hard for half an hour, then weights for 45 minutes, and finished with another 25 minutes on the bike. I definitely pushed harder on the elliptical today, but there was no way I was going to match his speed. Trying to keep up did kick the intensity up a notch, though. Win.

I went straight to the grocery store afterwards, sweaty and all, because I could go alone. Is it just me, or does anyone else come home with more junk if the spouse or kids tag along? There are chips and a few snacky things in there for the kid's lunches, but that's it. It's just easier without the temptation in the house. I did grab some of that Philadelphia cooking creme to try this week. I get the Kraft healthy recipes in my email almost daily, and wanted to try a few with the cremes. I already calculated the points for the new recipes, and it'll fit into my plan.

Now, I need to vent a bit. I have a coworker with diabetes. I know she's supposed to be on 3 different medicines to control it. I also know she's definitely non-compliant. She has a band or bypass (not sure which honestly), and probably would just be in the overweight category now, but every day.. Whatever dessert we have catered at work- she's all over it. Most of us don't even say a word about it anymore, but this week was different. Thursday, I looked across the hall, and she was asleep at her desk right after arriving. I asked what was going on, and she said she was just so tired. She'd fallen asleep at a stop light on the way to work, and had run over some curbs, and just couldn't stay awake. Another coworker with mild diabetes sent her to the nurse to get her sugar checked. It was super high, they added 2-3 more prescriptions. Guess what dumbass had at lunch?! Strawberry cake. Seriously? We all yelled at her, she said she would do better the next day. She came in Friday just as bad off, and actually came back from the lunch room with 2 cookies.

I normally don't interfere with this stuff because, honestly, I don't feel like I have a leg to stand on.. I went to her desk anyway and asked if she was trying to kill herself. Eating that crap when her diabetes is already so out of control is like a slow suicide in my opinion. I pointed out that we BOTH have our own issues (my weight, her diabetes) and neither of us needed the damn cookie. I understand people screw up sometimes (God knows I do), but to be so dismissive about such a huge problem? It makes me want to try harder. She ended up giving me the cookies, and I brought them home to kid and Mr. D. Like I said, I didn't need them either. And they're still in the kitchen I think.

Anywho. Some of the folks at work are talking about starting another round of Biggest Loser. Not sure whether I'll be joining or not, but I think it's a good idea given the junk that's brought into our office on a regular basis. It's easier to turn it down when you're not the only one.

Hope everyone is enjoying what's left of their weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your loss, may not of been what you wanted but it's a loss. I was the same this week only a 0.4 lb loss, was disappointed but what can ya do?
    Wow on your coworker, if we could only smack them upside the head to make them realize what they are doing! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any loss is awesome - keep it up.

    I hope your coworker heard you! I know I heard you! I need to be willing to put the cookie down!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very brave of you to confront another on their eating and health concerns, especially at work where these days anything remotely confrontational can result in harassment claims. Hopefully the confrontation didnt ended on a positive note between you two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so great that you took the time to talk to your co-worker the way you did. Sometimes a quiet conversation with someone that cares can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diabetes is a medical issue --- food is a mental issues. There is a disconnect between the two. Its easy to say - what the heck are they thinking? but it's hard to change behaviors that have been are engrained... maybe there is a small baby step you don't know about like she stopped smoking or uses sugar substitues instead of sugar... my point is the journey is about baby steps and we all have a long way to go

    ReplyDelete