Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mom Update!

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit, mom is taking up a lot of my time away from work. Last night was the first night in over a week I've slept more than 4-5 hours, and it was nice!

They released mom from the hospital Monday evening because she'd been able to keep very bland solid food down for 24 hours. They STILL didn't know what was causing everything. At one point, they mentioned gallstones, but that was ruled out. Upon being discharged, the doctor wanted her to make an appt with him for a colonoscopy (which he thinks is not going to show anything because they would have seen it by now), and was then going to refer her to an endocrinologist. He mentioned Addison's disease as an example, which I know nothing about, but not all of the listed symptoms fit. Basically, after 2 hospitalizations, they're still clueless. On the bright side, I guess they've at least ruled a few things out..

But then she got sick again Monday night, and got worse the next 24 hours while telling me she was FINE. We all prepared to head back to the hospital when she mentioned her first meal out of the hospital was fried chicken from a fast food place. SERIOUSLY?!?!? Once that was out of her system, she got better but is still feeling very weak.

When I was there cleaning yesterday, she looked more like herself and was eating fine. I'll be spending the day there for more cleaning and grocery shopping for her, which is frustrating. I swear, I do NOT mind taking care of my mother, not at all. God knows she took care of me whenever I was sick for years, haha! What frustrates me is that both of my adult brothers live with her, and they could be doing a lot more for her. Or, my dad could have chosen not to go for a 3 week long training program for work in New Jersey. He left Sunday morning when we still had no clue what was wrong but were looking at the possibility of surgery. His company was understanding and said they could send someone else. He still went, and didn't have time to stop in and see her before his flight. Yep, I'm frustrated. My mother has been a SAHM since she had me, and continued to stay home with grandbabies after that, and does everything for my dad. EVERYTHING. The man had to pack for himself for the first time in 25 years, and wasn't sure where his dress shoes were. Seriously. Yet he left when my mom was sicker than I've ever seen her. She was too out of it to really think about it much until she got home, but now she's hurt and mad. And I don't blame her.

So I'll be there all day, trying to get the house clean. She's been sick on and off for a while now, and the chemicals have been something she just couldn't tolerate. And God forbid any of the three men living with her pick up a toilet brush. Oy vey.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad your Mom is ok. Hopefully they can get everything figured out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your mom is ok and hope she feels better soon and they figure things out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your mom is home from the hospital - I hope they get it figured out for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad to hear that your mom is home from hospital now, your have to keep us posted on if they find anything. Its good they have ruled some things out its a start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been more than a month. Please, do update. Let your bloggy pals know what's up, eh? Hope things are better....

    ReplyDelete