Friday, January 27, 2012

Food Battles? Not here!

Update on the foot.. it still hurts. It's just an annoyance most of the time, but if I spend any time on my feet- ouch. Grocery shopping last night was no fun, fo sho. Thanks for checking on me, Kelliann!

Our family goal for January was less processed foods, and I'm happy to say we've done better with that. Since this is something we've been working on gradually, it's been easy! My grocery cart last night had very little boxed foods, and most of it was for my guys..

Speaking of which.. I just want to say how proud I am of my kid! A year ago, we were having food battles almost daily over trying new things and eating his veggies. In the last 2-3 months, those battles have almost disappeared. He tried (and LOVED) salad 2 weeks ago, tried and liked almond milk last week, tried hummus (not a fan apparently).. and all without a single complaint. He's been choosing yogurt and bananas as snacks, and finishes his veggies at every meal aside from lunch (that's the ritalin). Don't get me wrong, the kid still loves his goldfish and homemade cookies, but he's been so much better at balancing it with healthier choices.

So what's changed? Not too much. We've made sure he's consistently exposed to healthy foods, and we talk to him about balance. He's a smart kid, he even tried to tell his 2-year-old cousin that taste buds grow with you so he needed to try something again, haha! The only real.change we made was the addition of his "good choice jar." When he makes good choices, he gets marbles in his jar- the amount depending on the situation. Once it's full, hello toy store. He's not allowed to TELL us he made a good choice though, we have to notice. Positive reinforcement has always worked best at our house, and that silly little jar has done wonders. I originally started it to encourage him to talk his feelings out instead of getting angry (classic ADHD). Little did I know he'd become such a great little example for his cousin :)

I'm going to try to post again later, but have a great weekend just in case!! And remember, the weekend is a break from work- not being healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! Keep up the great work Mom, you're making a difference!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete