Sunday, April 14, 2013

April Update..

I've been trying to make time for an update on how we've been doing with the clean eating, but between the ever growing to-do lists and not having anything good to report..

Week one went okay. New is exciting (to me at least) so enthusiasm got us through that. I dumped everything from our kitchen that didn't fit in with my idea of how clean eating should be (I am very much an all-or-nothing girl no matter how hard I try not to be). First, I dealt with Ryan's frustration over the things being tossed and wasted. Then, restocking with clean foods.. I spent a good $100+ over our grocery budget, plus replenishing fresh produce during the week. I told myself the extra money was okay because it was just from the restocking. Some of the meals were good, some were just tolerable.

End of week one was another grocery trip, and I spent just as much as I did the week before. This can't happen. Trying to buy everything organic and fresh is not going to work for our budget. Week two meals were pretty disappointing in general.. I should have kept it more simple and more familiar (but all-or-nothing, ugh). Two meals were just trashed- salmon (we pretty much hate seafood except shrimp, but WANT to like it.. I was told later that salmon was a really bad one to start with), and a quinoa stir-fry. I've never made quinoa before, so not sure if I did something wrong, or if we just aren't ready for it.. But yuck? Ryan ended up ordering pizza that night because everything else in the house had to be thawed and cooked, and it was already less than an hour until kid's bedtime.

Pizza.. Was a horrible idea. Not because of the pizza (we have a place nearby that makes their own sauce and dough fresh daily, and wheat is an option) but because of the diet soda that came with it. I haven't had any kind of soda in almost 2 months because I only like diet and I gave up artificial sweeteners. I had one glass, and half an hour later, my head hurt SO bad! Not migraine bad, but close. I had a dull, annoying headache for the next few days but the worst part was the cravings. I haven't craved sweets in weeks, but I suddenly felt like a drug addict! That's the only way to explain how I reacted. I told husband how badly I wanted something sweet, but there wasn't anything in the house aside from a few baking items. So it was okay, because I was in a sugar free zone. My husband, thinking he was being sweet and helpful, brought home cupcakes to surprise me. I don't think I need to explain what happened next.

I will punch the next person that tells me aspartame isn't awful for you. Just saying.

Basically, I'm starting all over. Again. I'm so frustrated and angry (at myself), and honestly? I almost want to say forget it and go buy hamburger helper. I am so tired of looking through recipes and trying all these new foods only to throw them away or have my boys refuse to even try them because it's TOO different.

But, I read something this weekend that I really needed to hear: Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. So let's try this again, but with a little less crazy and a lot more simple.

In other news, we've been spring cleaning and redoing the kids bathroom this week, around a teething baby (tooth #2 came through Friday!). Having a problem with snacking too much? Make a list of projects to do around the house and DO them. I guarantee you'll be too busy! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Don't let yourself get discouraged! Changes are hard and you don't have to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to eat clean for severalyears now and some recipes are not very good BUT I have found some that are out of this world great. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feels good.. Have time will often come to see.

    ReplyDelete