Monday, April 1, 2013

What I think may be the clean eating Bible, and Easter.

Okay, so here are a few of the things I didn't have time to get into earlier..

1. I found Norma's blog last week, and if you aren't reading it, you should be. I need to find more blogs like hers, bloggers that have lost the weight and kept it off the right way! Let me know if there are any I should be reading..

2. She recommended the book The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno, and I picked it up as well as 2 of her cookbooks Saturday and have been reading them as I get time. There are a LOT of sites about clean eating, and a lot of them seem to do things just a little differently.  I've mostly been getting info from www.100daysofrealfood.com, which is a great source, but it's not necessarily for weight loss. I lost 6 lbs after I started following it, but it's slowed. One of the sample menus has pancakes with syrup for breakfast, followed by a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for lunch.. Reeeaaaallllyyy not targeted for weight loss! At least not for me. I know the menu is a suggestion, but I like Tosca Reno's book way better.

3. I reset my weight loss ticker today, because I'm totally starting over. I need to forget everything I thought I knew about dieting (I still can't believe I ever thought a trip to the cupcake place once a week as a "cheat" was a good idea..) and do this right. REAL food, not food-like products. I'm going to weigh again May 1, so please don't think I'm off in the corner eating cupcakes just because it's still at 0 until then! ;)

4. Exercise.. this is something that I'm still figuring out. Yes, time is short after spending 10-11 hours a day away from home, cooking, cleaning, playing with the kids, etc. But if I have time to post this, I have time to work out. Time is definitely an obstacle, but not THE obstacle at the moment. Between the toes I broke when I fell through the stairs while pregnant, that same ankle, and the knee (and OF COURSE it's the same side) I already had some difficulty with.. Working out hurts. Logically, I know that it will hurt less as the weight comes off because I KNOW that's aggravating all of it, so I need to just suck it up and start.

5. One month. That's how long I have to get the hang of all this and make it the new norm. Why? Because my in-laws are coming to stay with us for somewhere between 3-6 weeks. They are wonderful people, really. They're also some of the most picky people I've ever met (husband comes by it honestly). When they came to visit the week after Reagan was born, they ordered pizza, chinese, bbq, and had fast food a few times. I had plenty of healthy meals in the freezer specifically for the 2 weeks after she was born, but they all had veggies in them and they weren't interested. I'm an adult, and responsible for my own choices and can just say no. But my son is going to pick pizza and chicken nuggets over stir-fry every time. I still don't know how I'm going to deal with this for a month, but making this our new norm is a good start.

Moving on..

Day 1 of the new norm:
Breakfast- coffee with raw sugar, and eggs with spinach, tomato, peppers, and onions.
Lunch- leftover roasted chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots, celery and onion.
Snack- apple, green tea.
Dinner- Grilled bison burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, and mustard. Salad made with romaine, kale, red peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and light house Italian dressing. I tried using Balsamic vinegar as dressing, and yuck! I really need to replace my dressing, but have no idea what to use..

Also, Happy Easter! The only candy in the house from Easter is what Chris got in his basket at his dad's house. Thankfully, there wasn't much of it! It was cold and rainy here, so we hid eggs in the house and had a normal Sunday aside from that.


Chris coloring his eggs, Reagan smashing hers!





I don't think he minded the lack of candy at all!

5 comments:

  1. Your kids are adorable!

    Good luck with the inlaws, it can be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Can't wait to see your newest addition soon!

      Delete
  2. First, I love the new look of your blog. Nice and bright for Spring.

    I am totally feeling the same way about eating right now, only not practicing it consistently yet. I will. I Will. I WILL.

    Here is another source for you..http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/ I bought there book and like the reasons they give for not eating grains, sugar, dairy.

    No matter what the scale says May 1st, eating cleaner is better for the body. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'll definitely check that out. As of right now, I don't know if cutting grains or dairy out is something I want to do, but I do want to limit them and make better choices. I could drink milk all day long (and did while pregnant- I even took a half gallon in the car with me several times..), but it adds up! I've been limiting my dairy to twice a day max for now. Maybe the book can convince me to give it up :)

      Getting started is hard (still!!), but I think it will get easier for both of us as we learn to make it a permanent lifestyle change.

      Delete
  3. I feel for you on the in-laws. It's my own parents who cause the issues when they come to visit us. Thankfully (and sadly at the same time), they've never stayed for more than 2 days. They bring in Fun Size candy bars (multiple packs) even after I ask them not to. We usually eat out together, and my Dad always picks a buffet. When I try to stand up to them and not let my kids have some sort of junk, they have a way of making me feel like a little kid again and I shirk to their comments. Plus, in my kids' eyes, *I'm* the bad guy when I do that! I figure a couple days isn't going to kill anyway... but weeks at a time?! Oh my. I seriously feel for you. :-/

    ReplyDelete